Friday, February 7, 2014

Be Comfortable with Your Natural Self!

Over the last few decades, it seems that Black women have been going through a hair revolution but the movement has been especially strong over the past few years. More and more women have committed to rocking their natural hair. I personally did the big chop in February of 2011. I can't believe it's already been three years! For those who don't know, "the big chop" is when you cut off all of your relaxed (or chemically processed hair) and your natural hair remains. I was left with a teenie weenie afro which got bigger and bigger - I just started locking my hair in September. I'm pretty ecstatic about it!

This can a very trying process for women. Hair is such a symbol of a woman's attractiveness. For decades, Black women have chemically straightened their hair in attempt to be closer to a certain standard of beauty - a standard maintained by the White woman with long flowing hair. In the 70's Black women proudly picked their afros, going right along with the Black Power Movement. In the 80's and 90's we tapered back into processed hairstyles. This millennium has brought back pride in natural hair. We see Black celebrities wearing their natural hair on the red carpet. This is big!

As much as we like to believe that our lives aren't shaped by what celebrities do, they do have the power to make a big influence on the general public. There was a time when people felt very strongly that Black women and men (particularly men with dread locs) should not wear such hairstyles in the office because they are not professional. I said "there was a time," but I'll be candid, in many places that mind frame still pervades.

It is hard for many to see natural Black hair as a professional representation of a woman. This is why I am so glad to see that so many prominent women proudly wearing their natural hair. For example,


                                                                      YaYa DeCosta


                                                                            Alicia Keys


                                                                       Solange Knowles


                                                                          Janelle Monae


                                                                                 Lauryn Hill


                                                                               Tracee Ellis Ross

                                                                       
                                                                                 Lisa Bonet


                                                                         Tempestt Bledsoe


                                                                               Erykah Badu


                                                                                Kelis

There's a lot of talk about "good hair" and how it's easier for women with good hair to go natural. This is the same fundamental problem. I really wish that Black women with every range of hair type could feel confident about their hair and themselves. I think if we see more Black women in positions of power, and not just celebrity, wearing their natural hair, there could be a trickle down effect. If we saw women like Michelle Obama and Oprah Winfrey wearing a twist out or bantu knots - how crazy would that be?!

When I cut my hair and when I started to lock my hair, I did not think of any professional repercussions. According to my parents that should have been part of my decision. I understand where they're coming from. If I run into an employer who has yet to jump on the progressive band wagon and thinks my hair is inappropriate, then perhaps that is not someone for whom I would I like to work. Or maybe I could just sue them? That could be fun.. haha. I made my hair decisions based completely on me and how I feel about myself. I wanted the freedom to rock my hair the way it was naturally intended to be rocked. I still remember the feeling after my big chop. It felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. And that was true. The burden to conform to certain standard that was not my natural self was then removed and I've never looked back since!

A lot of my friends have joined team natural since high school. Once I get a picture of us all together with our natural hair, I'll be sure to post a picture.

1 comment:

  1. I cut my hair too, a few weeks ago so it's pretty short! I'm still getting used to it, but I think it was a great decision. I was transitioning but became EXTREMELY tired of 2 textures so I just cut it off! At first I did worry about "professional repercussions"...but then it dawned on me that my hair shouldnt be a reflection of my professional capabilities. And like you said....this is the way out hair grows out of our hair! Its not something we should feel like we have to hide. Also It's not like we're dying our hair cotton candy pink or anything lol. There's this CNN segment- politics of black hair - you can search on YouTube to watch it if you haven't seen it before- it's a very interesting conversation.

    ReplyDelete